At the beginning of the month I talked to a lovely lady called Heather. Heather is a pleural mesothelioma survivor and you can read about her story and more over on her blog... Heather's Blog
Pleural mesothelioma is a rare cancer which affects the lining of the lungs and is only caused by exposure to asbestos. Heather got in contact with me to ask if I would be willing to share some important facts surrounding pleural mesothelioma during lung cancer awareness month and tips on how to keep your lungs healthy.
What is Mesothelioma?
- Mesothelioma is a rare cancer.
- ONLY caused by exposure to asbestos.
- 'Pleural Mesothelioma' is the most common type of mesothelioma.
- It affects the lining of the lungs.
- Early symptoms of mesothelioma are sometimes subtle and can be easily mistaken.
- Symptoms are usually present 2-3 months prior to diagnosis.
- Lower back pain.
- Side chest pain.
- Shortness of breath.
- Muscle weakness.
- Coughing up blood.
- Persistent cough.
What Can You Do To Keep Your Lungs Healthy?
- Avoiding air pollution.
- Avoiding exposure to toxic substances.
- Not smoking.
- Avoiding exposure to radiation.
The purpose of National Healthy Lung Month is to increase awareness and promote healthy lungs. For more information, please visit the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance at...